Monday, January 07, 2008

Corporate Taxation

I ran across this Paper (pdf), and decided it is something I should act like I have read after glancing at this:
Abstract
We examine the extent to which taxes on corporate income are shifted onto the workforce in the form of lower wages. We use data on 23,000 companies located in 10 countries over the period 1993-2003. We identify two channels by which taxes can affect wages: indirectly through a lower capital stock, and more directly through wage bargaining for net of tax, location-specific rents. We find that a significant part of the effective incidence of the tax falls on wages. Our central estimate is that 54% of any additional tax is passed on in lower wages, even in the short run; other estimates are larger than this. In the longer run, a $1 rise in the tax liability results in a fall in total employee compensation in excess of $1.

I also found the Conclusion on pps. 16-17 also of immediate interest. I was seriously tempted to start at the Beginning, and read it entirely. Then I considered the liability of such a course, perhaps requiring me to adjudge the veracity of the Study, which would turn into real Work. I took the far easier Option of deciding that if it was good enough for the Oxford University Center for Business Taxation, then it was good enough for me (tis not an attitude encouraged amongst Academics). Still, I consoled myself with the knowledge that I had only to utilize the Results, not create a Defense for my own criminal misconduct. The mystified Reader can take heart in the awareness that the Study can be defended effectively by Someone.

The real value of the Study would be the assurance that Corporate taxes are very expensive to Labor Wages. This promotes an entirely erroneous belief that Business should be left to go Scot-free from any form of Taxation. The correctness of the Study should only make Us reexamine the basic types of taxation which We utilize. My evaluation of Tax theory brings the highly irreverent choice of Tariffs as the most effective type of Taxation to protect migrating Labor Wages, plus moderating diffident Production Costs; all within the context of a supervisory power for Governments to limit excessive Profits-Taking on the part of international Corporations. The Tariff also enjoys the additional benefit of forestalling the practice of Profits transfers by Corporations to escape Taxation, through the pre-charge before Retailing. lgl

No comments: