Sunday, March 01, 2009

Sunny Sunday

I read this article by Jay Mathews, and ask How can the American system of Education be failing to provide properly-trained labor for the modern economy. You read about the huge efforts put out by poor elements of India and China simply to ensure that their children receive an effective education, and wonder why American parents do not even bother to insist their children do their Homework. Is there a basic defeatism in American society which insists that America must fail? Most would insist these efforts are only geared to lower educational levels, but Why can’t American students compete effectively with their peers from foreign Universities? It seems to revolve around poor Study habits originating in primary school. There may well be a Need for a strong Discipline in primary education classes; I know that I had a group of Roman Catholic Nuns who were quite insistent in my younger years–no Comments on the poor quality of my performance. Could We need to go back to previous practice to reach a more successful End?

Publication of this link may get me a Cold Shoulder in Omaha, but Warren has never personally made me any spending money. A Berkshire price of $78,600 per share leads me to suspect there has not been a major loss of confidence in the Company. I have tried to read Warren’s annual letter four times, but just seem unable to get my mind around the Words. This could be a basic lack of Interest, or the poor Study habits developed over a lifetime in American society as commented upon Above. I personally judge it as simply Warren’s lack of desire for me reading his correspondence–One has to be a Nebraska Resident to understand that; Walt Behlen no longer being around to ask!

I once lived only 70 miles from this Place, and also lived 4 miles from a Border Crossing where Mexican Police Officers has fled for protection from raging Gang members. I have often crossed into both Cities, and understand the fears of Mexican citizens; some older ones recount the violence of the Civil War years and state it is just as bad. Mexico has always had an extensive history of Banditry, and it has spilled over into the United States before. I once knew a Mexican-American who once watched Pancho Villa raid Columbus, N.M. in 1915; who commented Conditions are near identical–where honest Citizens are not allowed Arms, so Bandits feel safe to raid and terrorize. This Period of Terror will pass, but not before a high Death toll is exacted. lgl

No comments: