Sunday, June 08, 2008

Experimental Math

I, as usual, did not read this Dani Rodrik piece until another blogger thought to cite him (Mark Thoma–common habit with me). Sensible people will understand I should not comment on Dani’s Piece, as it required Math (I am probably more Math juvenile delinquent than Math Retarded), it being a Sunday Evening and I ready for bed. It simply found that I had to establish a more-advanced Equation for the shorted Equation which Professor Rodrik presented.

His Equation for total Movement to Free Trade:

0.5 x [t/(1+t)}^2 x m x e

where t=the Tariff rate, m=Import share of GDP, and e=the Price Elasticity (absolute) of Import Demand. It indeed leads to a rather minute number of Trade Gains for GDP. I am quite content with the general direction of Dani’s argument, but find I must adjust it to show that there would be negative aspect–or GDP retardation.

My Equation for the Movement to Total Free Trade:

0.5 x [t/(1+t)}(^2 x m x e) - {(Ctr-Tfr)/Ctr}

where t, m, and e remain the Same, and Ctr=the Capitalization of Transport and Port facilities, and Tfr=the Common Transport freight rates. It is Late, and I am tired, as well as not being that Good at This; but I think this is what real GDP that We can expect. What do I know! lgl

No comments: