Friday, August 04, 2006

Why I Blog

Several bloggers today comment on why People blog, varying from high academic tones to down-to-earth bull; generated by a article on why Economists blog in The Economist (I provide no links because they are all ove the Net--just Search). I search my soul for an answer to why I myself blog, and it is simple: to be read! I have written many books, all assumed to be too short and too expensive (Many claiming they were insufficiently researched, though I had written them in Cliff's Notes style to aid Anyone interested in the study of Economics without confusing detail). They did not sell (I contest Those who comment the Works were boring--Not So!).

Why I have come to enjoy blogging, mainly because of the freedom given to the medium. I will give a Case in Point, where no one will be able to discern whether I am discussing the matter Tongue-in-cheek, or am serious in intent:

A NYTimes article today described efforts to eventually turn Georgia Peaches into fuel for Cars. I immediately leaped forward with a great innovative Thought: Why limit Oneself to sweet Peaches, when Grocery consumption of Peaches would rise in Price with the competition of fuel distillers? Why not any type of fruit? A vast burst array of possibilities appeared in my mind's eye.

Riverlines and hillsides traditionally were deep in all forms of Berries before the day of intense agriculture. They are naturally acclimated to the territory, and need no excessive work to facilitiate production. These type Berries are extremely erosion-resistent, are of high natural productivity, and would lower Grocery Store Price for these Berries with proliferation. My mind wandered on: these Berries were of high Sugar content, and would make excellent alcohol sourcing. My mind traveled far afield: These Berries are produced by bushes which would made fine impediment barriers, We could plant all Road ditches and Interstate medians to these bushes; cutting the Cost of artificial barriers while the bushes would do an equally good Job except for possibly scratching the paint on the vehicles. A $2/hour Minimum Wage increase could put another 5 million Americans at work at Living Wage as Pickers and Pruners--first needed as Planters. Quick Thought on Costs: Mass Distillation of such Berries could be obtained for about $.40/gallon, Labor Cost would be equal to about $.70/gallon, and Total Production could cut maybe 15% of Our Fossil Fuel use.

And People ask me why I blog! lgl

No comments: