Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Deficiencies in my Research model

I ran across this Post by Mark Thoma at around 7a.m., so one can imagine my trepidation at reading this Excerpt; I had to pinch myself to assure that I was not in Nightmare mode. It was not the Content on the Message, only the Construct, almost making me wish for established firm loss solely as defense and justification for puzzling through the Excerpt. I am not perfectly positive of the loss of firm profitability through the Minimum Wage without reading the entire Paper, but I do know a personal loss of profitability in tracing a path through the qualifications associated with the Findings of the Paper. I think it states that firms lost out on Profitability, though Wages increased significantly and the effect on Jobs was nil. The Whole holds some insignificance for myself, after the found lack of effect on firm entry rates.

I slipped from Mark Thoma to this Post by Edward Hugh, and I knew it was going to be a bad day. His first Graph contradicted the Contention of his Review, and I knew that I was in hostile country! This is followed by a Japanese Services index which is basically unchanged year over year, and tertiary demand (here I might help–think Maintenance Spending) has fallen for two Quarters, despite the fact that the Japanese economy is supposed to have been expanding though tertiary demand makes up 60% of the economy (I could have bought a Monument business once; think Tombstone company with a constant Sales performance). Household Spending purportedly decreased at the fastest rate in 15 months because of Price increases in frequently purchased Goods, though they are still supposed to be frequently purchased. Japanese Exports grew at the slowest Pace in 3 years, and Production fell the most in March of any month in 5 years. The Bank of Japan ceased its Interest Rate increases due to the information, but still said that continuing to keep the Rates at such Lows would lead to excessive Investment, and hamper long-term growth. It is too early in the Morning!

I trudge ahead, undeterred by attempts to defeat my pursuit of Truth, though already burdened by an overabundance of internal economic conflict; until I come to this Post. Everyone knows that Treasury Secretary Ken Henry of Australia would not seek to confuse; then I read the Excerpt. I was confronted by a lag of recognition of the activist counter-cyclical fiscal policy. Any policy based upon Ricardian equivalence or import leakages does demand a permanent Income hypothesis, though I am not sure what that means. I persevered, though, as undoubtedly will the counter-cyclical fiscal policy, in spite of the automatic stabilisers which may or may not work. Feel heartened by the fact that there is a 1.3% Cash surplus estimated; I having the suspicion that they are going to need it. lgl

No comments: