Friday, May 16, 2008

How to alienate what Friends you have left!

Why does Energy always compel Subsidies, when it is apparent that they are probably the worst Incentive program possible. Germany is trying to underwrite the Solar industry, in a Country without much Sunshine in comparison with Everybody else; though, of course, they are paying three times as much to keep their Coal industry in business. I am trying to sell a derivative based on the expectation that I will draw a Salary equivalent to Auto industry CEOs within a year, but do I get a Subsidy from the Government to get me started? No! Governments never pay attention to the real issues of life, only idiotic appeals to a Public worth; they likely to contemplate subsidies to those self-same Auto industries this year, not when Production jobs are threatened, only when those CEO salaries are at risk. What ever happened to the old idea that worthwhile ideas would be funded because they are Profitable?

I agree with George W. Bush that the Farm Bill should be vetoed. It is another of those omnibus bills which covers so much, I could probably get a Bathroom remodel from it (dire Lie: I rent). The CBO states on 35 billion is the measly amount which actually goes to Agricultural commodity programs; my Question is how much of the Money goes to Agribusiness Concerns which make over $1 million Profit per year? Another $209 billion is supposed to go to Food Stamps and Food Banks; okay, sure, but this brings Us only to $244 billion, what happens to the rest of the $307 billion? I guess that We are back to Subsidies for ethanol and whatnot again; has Anyone ever heard of Cost Effective. Economists do not utilize Benefits Costs analysis anymore, probably because they would be cited for Contempt of Congress.

The Federal Reserve does not help with my general mood with this Report. Remember what I said about Auto subsidies earlier? My idea of a real subsidy would be the purchase of 20,000 electric vehicles for Government use; sole restrictions being they are all produced on American soil from American Design, they can meet current American Driving standards, and hold a durable Driving charge to travel at least 300 miles per charge. Another subsidy I might endorse would be Federal purchase of 50,000 Railroad freight cars under the same commitment that they be American-designed and built, with the provision that all unused freight capacity be rented to Railroads at current Rental rates. I would cancel the Farm subsidy programs for a much simpler Program of paying Farmers a planted acreage subsidy of $11 per planted acre; no one giving a Damn about what happens down the Road, simply call it the Agricultural fuel subsidy. lgl

No comments: