Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fuel Efficiency

Why the major drop in the Price of Oil in the last two Days? Why was there such a Runup in the Price of Oil this year? We have seen both, but are not even close to an Answer for the behavior. I personally believe it is a model based upon Oil Storage capacity, where Managers must clear the Pipeline to meet future Committed Deliveries. This, of course, could only start an Oil price run; the continuance of the Run would rely on Clearing the Market, which means eliminating the Speculator positions taken prior to the Run. I cannot see any other influence on a Market where Demand is persistent and steady, whether it is on the advance or in decline; understand it takes about 4 months for a change in Demand to even appear.

It is nice to know that I am Mod, and have been since before Others began. I still drive a Pickup truck, but it is an obsolete model (I actually get 18mpg City, 21mpg Highway–it is a Sonoma by the way). My thirst to be Socially Correct lay in the fact that my Car Windows may have been open about 10 times in its lifetime; the AC remains On constantly, with only Settings change from Winter to Summer. A Pickup is like a horse, if you treat them well and do not change your Riding habits, they will respond well. The Car Radio is shut off only when Others are in the Cab, and even then Not, depending on the Conversation skills of other Occupants; it stays On even in travels through West Texas, where my Eyes roll in boredom at the Sermonizing on the Bible stations. I avoid Gas Pump Shock by refilling when the Gas gauge reads a quarter-tank low. I can even imagine Sometimes that I am in the 1980s.

The major Input to save fuel in Airplanes may be the sacrifice of Speed for Efficiency. Airlines cater to the needs of Business Travelers, and ferry Commoners to pay for the heavy fuel usage. Too many Passengers are moving too rapidly through the Air, and such Dispatch supports a extreme fuel usage; as well as inciting a Travel philosophy which is unwarranted. I would have to check the fuel usage of various types of Aircraft engine, but would advocate a very expensive Travel in small Jets, with a much cheaper Travel in Propeller engines with much longer Travel times. The Regime would cut Travel quite substantially in all Classes, leading to uncluttered Airports, and recapitalization of land travel facilities. I may just be old-fashioned, but do not believe that Everyone must cross the entire Country a couple times per year. lgl

No comments: