The World is rapidly developing, and regretably using the American model of high Energy consumption. The American economy increases Energy use, whether in Boom or Bust. The trouble comes in the fact foreign economies have the resources from their development and Export levels to compete with the United States for Energy reserves. The Gas Wars, though probably descending sometimes to physical combat, will be on the level of finding the technology to Produce more with less Energy. The Time is now! American Business needs to learn the tactics and strategy of Production not only in terms of total Production Costs, but in terms of Energy Costs as well. The Now comes from the fact that Gas may reach $5/gallon this Year, if World energy needs increase with equal pace as last Year with equal-impact crisis in the Supply line for Energy products.
What Strategies can be employed?
1) The development of Work Station technology (previously described by this Author in an Appendix of a prior Work). Work Station technology allows Machine operation to be separated from Machine supervision. Both Machine Operation and Machine Maintenance can be run from Work Stations. Added Cost of machinery can be minimized, costing only the Communication charges in most instances, as all current machinery uses the basic format of electronics technology.
2) Microwave technology can allow for Work Stations to be transferred to Buses, where Employees go on the Clock upon being picked up for the Shift (providing incentive to employees to utilize Company bus programs), leading to a vast reduction in fuel Costs to the employees; this two aspects reducing Employee Wage demands. Eventual effort could create a scenario where obtaining a Job with an Employer will mean delivery of a Work Station to the home of the Employee. Properly constructed Bus Work Stations may even eliminate the need for major Office space; requiring only sufficient Parking facilities for the Bus.
3) Standardization of Work Station technology could vastly reduce Employee Training Costs, and separation of the delicate human body from the actual Production lines will reduce Insurance and Disability Costs dramatically. It will also greatly aid in reduction of Pollution emisions and ease fulfillment of Emision standards set by law.
4) Those Trades and industries which require human interaction (Retail etc.) can still benefit from Busing of Employees. The program can be expanded to Busing of Customers combined with delivery of their purchases in the storage compartments under the Buses. This major saving in Fuel Costs can be managed with an Advertising campaign where the comfort of not fighting traffic, not paying for Gas, and lack of actual handling of heavy purchases will intice Customers to utilize the free Bus service. It will have the added benefit of Customer direction to the Stores which supply the Service (there could be multiple Stores or Shopping Centers as underwriters of the Service).
5) The Federal Government, through direct Grants, Tax incentives, and Guarranteed Profits, should reinstitute the railway system; raising the railway performance to the equal of Japan and Europe, in both provision of Services and Safety. This would produce the Energy economy enjoyed by Europe at the minimum, and will gain the volume of Travelers and Freight with short, on-Time trains and Traveler pampering alongside a vested Advertising campaign. lgl